The Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering have various Technical clubs as follows:
1.Power Electronics and Devices
Technical Background & Utility :-
Power electronics is interdisciplinary in nature and is used in a wide variety of industries from computers to chemical plants to rolling mills. The importance of power electronics has grown over the years due to several factors. Two of these are the advent of smart power devices and the increasing global concerns about the effects of environmental pollution. Smart power devices are expected to become ubiquitous and revolutionise the way power is handled. Electric vehicle is currently looked upon as a promising solution to curb urban pollution. Also, to avoid the pollution due to setting up of new power generating stations, power electronics has been called upon to ensure better utilisation of existing capacity. This has resulted in research into active power factor correction, harmonic compensation etc., and assuming great significance.
Activities:- Weekly activities of the clubs include seminar sessions by students members on topics related to new trends in the field of Power Electronics. Eminent personalities from outside the institute and in-house, working in the field of industrial Electronics and Drives take classes once in a month. In-house quiz competitions are conducted once in a semester. the club conducts “ awareness” programs, slogan competitions and poster competitions.
- Fabrication of small circuit based on SCRs,MOSFETS,IGBTs and other power electronics components.
- Fabrication of small control circuit.
- Knowledge of Integration of power electronics with Renewable energy.
- Use of Power electronics in Hybrid electrical vehicles.
2.Alternative Sources of Energy :-
Technical Background & Utility:-
There is a current global need for clean and renewable energy sources. Fossil fuels are non-renewable and require finite resources, which are dwindling because of high cost and environmentally damaging retrieval techniques. So, the need for cheap and obtainable resources is greatly needed. An efficient and more feasible alternative option is solar energy and wind energy.
The goal of Renewable energy integration is to advance system design, planning, and operation of the electric grid to:
- reduce carbon emissions and emissions of other air pollutants through increased use of renewable energy and other clean distributed generation
- increase asset use through integration of distributed systems and customer loads to reduce peak load and thus lower the costs of electricity
- support achievement of renewable portfolio standards for renewable energy and energy efficiency
- enhance reliability, security, and resiliency from micro grid applications in critical infrastructure protection and highly constrained areas of the electric grid
- support reductions in oil use by enabling plug-in electric vehicle (PHEV) operations with the grid.
Activities:- Weekly activities of the clubs include seminar sessions by students members on topics related to new trends in the Energy sector. Eminent personalities from outside the institute and in-house, working in the field of Energy management and renewable energy take classes once in a month. In-house quiz competitions are conducted once in a semester. Leaflets are distributed in the college and in the nearby schools to disseminate knowledge regarding energy conservation. As a symbol of social commitment, the club conducts “Energy awareness” programs and Painting competitions.