The Central Instrumentation Facility, at BIT Mesra, has been created with an objective of providing a central facility of latest and advanced analytical techniques for research in various areas of science and technology. It houses several highly sophisticated and modern analytical equipments offering its users, a wide range of analytical methods/techniques for chemical/material analysis/testing/characterization enabling them to keep pace with developments taking place globally, publish their research findings in peer reviewed high impact factor journals and through their concerted efforts contribute to the upliftment of the society at large. This facility is extensively used by undergraduate and post graduate students , doctoral research scholars and faculty members. The facility is also extended to external organizations mainly academic institutions in the region, on chargeable basis. The facilities are availed by approximately 1500 internal users and 500 external users annually. Presently Research Scholars from Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Civil and Environmental Engineering , Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering, Space Engineering and Rocketry, Hotel Managment and Catering Technology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Remote Sensing are extensively using this facility. This facility is also used for organizing short term courses/ workshops on the use and application of various instruments and analytical techniques.
Objectives of the CIF:
- To carry out analysis of samples received from faculty members of the institute, other academic institutions and industries.
- To provide facilities of modern analytical instruments to students and researchers enabling them to keep pace with developments taking place globally, publish their research findings in peer reviewed high impact factor journals and through their concerted efforts, contribute to the upliftment of the society at large.
- To acquire and develop capability for preventive maintenance and repair of the high end instruments.
- To organize short term courses/workshops on the use and application of various instruments and analytical techniques.
- To train technicians for maintenance and operation of sophisticated instruments.
Services provided by the CIF :
1. Analytical Services:
- Sample Analysis : The CIF carries out analysis of samples received from researchers and provides spectra/results of analysis on routine basis
- Sample Preparation: The CIF provides facilities and assistance in sample preparation to the users.
- Testing facility : The CIF caries out testing of quality of raw materials and end products for industries.
- Water Quality Testing : The CIF carries out water quality testing as per the CPCB norms.
2. Short Term Courses/ Training Programmes : The CIF organizes the following types of short term courses/Training Programmes / Workshops:
- Application and use of various instruments and analytical techniques for UG /PG students, research scholars, faculty members, teachers and personnel from other academic institutions, R&D Labs and industries.
- Repair/maintenance and operation of sophisticated instruments for technicians.
3. Consultancy on analytical problems: The CIF offers consultancy on solution to analytical problems including development of analytical methods for specific needs, sampling problems, spectrum analysis and interpretation of results etc. as well as on R&D problems/issues.
4. Repair and maintenance of high end instruments: The CIF personnel make a concerted effort to develop expertise to repair and maintain the high end instruments available with them .
Submitting samples for analysis
The various instrumental facilities at CIF, BIT, Mesra may be availed by both BIT personnel and others at nominal charges. The samples should be submitted in the prescribed format indicating the information called for as well as special requirements, if any. The samples will be registered for analysis and taken up for measurement as per the number of users.
The instrument concerned. Users have to collect the results/data either in electronic form or in hardcopy from the CIF office or through e-mail on special request.
Modes of Payment
For internal (BIT) samples the student/ faculty member has to fill up the specific form for the instrument, which is then signed by the respective departmental head during submission of the samples. The charges are deducted from the annual research budget of the specific department or project fund (if any).
For others, there will be GST of 18% along with the analysis charges and the payment has to be made in the form of demand draft (DD) drawn in favour of “ BIT, Mesra, Ranchi ” from any Nationalised Bank, payable at Ranchi.
Click here for Charges
For more information, please correspond in the contact details provided.
Central Instrumentation Facility
Bio Engineering Building,
Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra,
Ranchi, Jharkhand 835 215
Ph- 0651-2275444 Ext. 4596,4552,4496