Department of Mechanical Engineering offers a 4-year undergraduate programme leading to a B.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering. Curriculum of this course is designed to meet current industrial requirements with an emphasis on industrial interaction and applied engineering. It was started at BIT Patna campus in year 2007 with intake of 45 students every year. The students and the faculty interact closely with the industry through internships, projects and research associations and enhance their knowledge with the latest trends in the industries through workshops & seminars.
The objective of the programme is to give students a broad exposure in all areas of Mechanical Engineering making them technically competitive. This is achieved in a number of ways that include-
- Practical exposure in the discipline through design projects.
- Opportunities to work in research projects with faculty members.
- An eight-week industrial training programme is part of the curriculum.
- Frequent visits to industry and an all-India educational tour for every batch of students.
- Guest lectures by both International / National experts from Institution and industries on current topics.
- The laboratories as well as workshops associated with this Department are equipped with the most modern range of lab equipment.
Laboratories and Facilities
The Mechanical Engineering department provides technical upliftment and development of professional traits for practical as well as research purpose. We have following labs: ·
- Engineering Mechanics lab.
- Fluid Mechanics lab.
- Strength of Material lab.
- Engineering Measurement lab.
- Manufacturing Processes lab.
- Automobile Engineering lab.
- Heat Transfer Lab.
- Thermal Engineering Lab.
- Dynamics Lab.
- Solar Application Lab, etc.
Student Development and Achievements
Mechanical Engineering students are indulged in various development projects, assignments and competitions throughout their tenure. GREEN TEAM students made TECHNIKA ’11 a carbon neutral event by neutralizing its Carbon Footprint by tree plantation. Students are encouraged to take part in various workshops and seminars conducted within the college and other reputed institutions across India. Students have undergone summer projects and internships in various Companies across INDIA.
Research and Development
Students are associated with International and National competitions. Project GURUTVA is a robot designed by BIT Patna students to excavate and collect samples from the surface of the moon considering the constraint of 1/6th gravity and temperature variation from -50 degree to +155 degrees Celsius. The design is been selected from NASA’s technical experts.Only few designs from India were selected by NASA Kennedy Space Centre, and the students are called to display the robot at NASA Centre.