Department of Production & Industrial Engineering is AICTE NBA accredited for the years 2023-24, 2024-25, 2025-26
Department of Production & Industrial Engineering since its inception in 1964 ( Previously Production Engineering ) has been trying to impart quality education to undergraduates and train them to meet the demands of the manufacturing industry. The department has established links with the industry, R&D organizations, consultancy organizations and academic institutes in the region in furtherance of the cause of manufacturing engineering. The department sees itself as a pathfinder of emerging technologies and techniques in the area of production engineering and develops students to be technologically and managerially sound to meet the challenges of the open market in the present era of globalization.
The main objective of production and Industrial engineering is the integration of technology with management in planning and controlling the design, development and operation of manufacturing systems. Rapid advances in manufacturing technology, e.g., computer-controlled processes and management information systems, ERP and new manufacturing concepts like TPS, agile manufacturing, pull system etc., are reinforcing the recognition of technological, organizational, economic and human factors. Furthermore, specialized training in manufacturing technology is necessary for industries in India and abroad.
Placement Statistics (2022)
Batch Profile (2022 Pass out)
To become a centre of repute striving continuously towards providing quality education, research and innovation in the Field of production and Industrial Engineering
- To provide quality education at both undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- To provide opportunities and facilities for research and innovation in Production and Industrial Engineering.
- To produce industry-ready graduates to meet the demands of manufacturing industries, knowledge-based software firms, supply chain and logistic firms, and R&D organizations
- To integrate skills on state-of-the-art manufacturing technology with industrial engineering and operations management
- To impart latest knowledge in the domain area to students by continuous up-gradation of curricula and faculty
Department of Production and Industrial Engineering offers a four-year undergraduate course in Production and Industrial Engineering.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- PEO 1: Developing capability for continuous learning and problem identification in the field of Production and Industrial Engineering
- PEO 2: To be more explorative in finding state-of-art solutions and implementations for complex real-life problems
- PEO 3: Inculcating managerial aptitude for communication, problem solving and decision making
- PEO 4: To enhance inter-personal skill, team spirit and employability while believing on the ethical values
- PEO 5: To develop a strong foundation for building an engineering career with societal and humanitarian responsibility
Mapping of PEO and Department Mission
(A) PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- 1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- 2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- 3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural,societal, and environmental considerations.
- 4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- 5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- 6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- 7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- 8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- 9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- 10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- 11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- 12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
(B) PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO)
- 13. PSO 1: To empower with comprehensive knowledge in the wide domain of sciences of manufacturing, technologies for present and future industries, industrial engineering and operations management while emphasizing professional ethics and societal responsibility to face the evolution in industry.
- 14. PSO 2: To develop expertise in solving complex technical, industrial engineering or managerial problems related to industries through innovative solutions using technological skills, analytical aptitude, communication flair and team spirit.
- 15. PSO 3: Enable to apply the attained theoretical and practical knowledge to solve the industrial and societal problems in the broad areas of production and industrial engineering.
Course Outcomes (CO) are uploaded in Course Syllabi.
Department of Production and Industrial Engineering offers postgraduate courses in Automated Manufacturing Systems.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1: Graduates will develop into independent researchers and academicians in the broad area of production and industrial engineering
- PEO 2: Graduates will demonstrate a high level of competency and problem solving aptitude to find innovative solutions for theoretical and practical problems
- PEO 3: Developing a practice of continuously updating with latest knowledge and information in their relevant field of specialization
- PEO 4: Graduates should engage with engineering profession and understand the importance of ethics, team work and professionalism.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO2: Ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program.
Optional PO (Program Specific)
- PO4: Application of engineering and technological knowledge to solve a wide range of Production and Industrial problems.
- PO5: Developing expertise in automation related subjects both at the theory and practical level.
- PO6: Developing the ability and expertise in the students to apply latest data analytics tools and techniques for computing and engineering practice.
Course Outcomes (CO) are uploaded in Course Syllabi.
Dr. Joyjeet Ghose
HOD, Department of Production and Industrial Engineering
Mobile No: 9431927425