To be a Centre of Excellence for providing effective teaching/ learning, skill development and research in the areas of Chemical Engineering and allied areas through the application of Chemical Engineering principles for the fulfilment of social and economic needs of the nation.
1) To educate graduate engineers with critical thinking skills in chemical engineering & allied areas who will be global leaders in industry and academia.
2) To inculcate fundamental knowledge base in undergraduate as well as post-graduate students which enables them to carry out further higher study, do innovative interdisciplinary doctoral research and to be engaged in long-life learning.
3) To train all UG, PG and PhD students of the department in addressing the challenges in chemical, petrochemical, refinery, polymer and allied industries by developing sustainable and eco-friendly technologies.
Program Outcome (POs) for Chemical Engineering
A graduate shall must
- Engineering Knowledge: Be able to apply basic knowledge of science and engineering for solving a multidisciplinary problem.
- Problem analysis: Be able to identify, formulate and analyze the complex chemical engineering problems using the first principles of natural science, mathematics and engineering science
- Modern tool usage: Be competent in using the skills and engineering tools necessary for complex chemical engineering problem analysis.
- Design & Development of solutions: Be able to design and conduct experiments safely and to develop a process that meets desired specifications with consideration of environmental, safety, economic and ethical criteria.
- Conduct experiments: Be able to conduct independent research, analyze and interpret the data to arrive at the valid conclusion on the basis of extensive literature review.
- Ethics: Be committed to professional ethics and responsibility and norms of engineering practice.
- Engineer and the society: Exhibit understanding of societal and environmental issue relevant to professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the professional engineering solutions in the context of society and environment and demonstrate the need for sustainable development
- Individual and team work: Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills to function effectively as an individual or as a member of a group and have command over a multidisciplinary team.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to develop managerial skills like interpersonal, presentation, communication and documentation of data, comprehend and write effective reports, give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Be aware of most recent financial aspects related to professional activities and show expertise in undertaking projects with effective control over finance and time.
- Life-long learning: Be able to recognize the need for continuous lifelong learning and be aware of latest development in the area of chemical engineering
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
To develop students' understanding of the core scientific, mathematical and engineering principles conceive and design processes to produce, transform and transport materials (chemical products) — beginning with experimentation in the laboratory and followed by implementation of technologies in full-scale production.
To prepare students for professional work in development, design, modelling, simulation, optimization and operation of chemical products and processes.
With due emphasis on interdisciplinary and industrial collaboration, students are prepared for employment in such industries as chemical, petroleum, electrochemical, biochemical, semiconductor, nuclear, aerospace, plastics, food processing, environmental control etc.
Prepare students with high scholastic attainment to enter graduate programs leading to advanced degrees in chemical engineering or in related professional, scientific, and engineering fields.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO) for BE- Chemical Engineering
- To understand and apply working knowledge of chemical engineering principles in independent research and development.
- To implement the inter-perceptional skills of individuals in technical profession.
- To update technical know-how by self- learning besides learning a great deal by associating with professional bodies and alumni.
- To develop an ability to succeed in the graduate competitive examinations and pursue higher studies in chemical engineering or lateral disciplines.
The Department of Chemical Engineering offers two Undergraduate four year Progemmes, and three Post Gragudate Programmes as well as Doctoral programmes. The department also runs one five year Integrated M.Sc. Food Technology programme.
- M.E. (Chemical Engineering)
Doctoral Programmes :
Doctoral Programme in the fields of Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, Food Processing Technology etc.
PhD Syllabus - Chemical Engineering
PhD Syllabus - Food Technology
# TEQIP III Sponsored one week(16th to 20th May, 2018) workshop on "Industrial Process Simulation"
# Dr. Raghu Raja Pandiyan received project grant of Rs. 28.95 lakhs from EMR, SERB in 2017
# Dr. G T Mohonraj received project grant of Rs. 39.64 lakhs from SERB in 2017
# Dr. Arup Chowdhury received project grant of Rs. 23.78 lakhs from DRDO in 2017
# Mr. Abhi Pandey, 5th semester student of Department of Chemical Engineering and Technology won 3rd prize in the event Petrodebate in Petrofiesta 2014 held at IIT, Kharagpur
# Dr. Akhil Sen has received a project worth 24.995 lakh from DRDO.
# Rs. 100.00 lakhs grant received from Human Resource Development for the creation of Infrastructures facilities for running degree/ diploma course in Food Technology of National Mission on Food Processing (NMFP) - 2013-17
# Plasticon 2012 award for best educational institute contributing to plastics (more details)
Admission Test Syllabus
The Department of “Chemical Engineering” with well qualified faculty provides high standard of education in the diversified fields of Chemical Engineering. The Department has immense strength in the area of Polymer Engineering. The Department received national recognition by winning the Gold Trophy for Plasticon Award 2012 in the category of Best Educational Institution Contributing to Plastics. The Plasticon Award was conferred on 1st February 2012, at 8th International Plastics Exhibition and conference. The programme was supported by Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Government of India. Faculty members are working on sponsored projects and collaborative research with various organizations. The Department is also recognized under DST-FIST.
The Department has modern and sophisticated laboratories and workshop facilities such as Chemical Engineering Unit Operation laboratory, Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory, Process Control Laboratory, Synthesis Laboratory, Energy Engineering Laboratory, Polymer Characterization Laboratory etc. The Department has excellent facilities in Polymer Processing Workshop and Product Development Laboratory including mould design and manufacturing facility. The various materials Characterization facilities include Instron Universal Testing Machine, Rigaku wide angle X-Ray diffractometer, ATLAS accelerated weathering testing system, HAAKE Rheometers. The Product Development facilities include MCP HEK vacuum casting system for prototyping and Stratasys Fused Deposition Modelling system rapid prototyping. The students are trained in various CAE applications in the field of product and process design with various software such as ASPEN PLUS, Accelrys, Material Studio for molecular simulation, MATLAB, PROENGINEER, ANSYS, CATIA, FLUENT, POLYFLOW, and MOLDFLOW.
There are several Projects sponsored by DRDL, DST, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Coir Board etc. to the credit of the Department. Major research areas are: Nanotechnology, Advanced Polymer Composites, Alternative Energy, Bioresources Utilization, Pollution Control, Water Treatment Technologies, Polymer Blends and Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, Nano filtration Membrane, Recycling of Polymer Waste, Specialty Polymer, Colloids and Interfacial Science, Tissue Engineering, Sensors, Fuel Cell Membrane.
The department conducts short and long-term courses in Polymer Processing, Quality Control, CAE, etc. Apart from manpower development, provides consultancy and testing facilities to the plastics industries. The Department also conducted Integrated Industrial Training Programmes in a plastics processing industry Amiantit Oman, at Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
Dr. Gautam Sarkhel
Head, Department of Chemical Engineering
BIT- Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand, INDIA 835215
Phone: 0651 227 6053
Fax No.: 0651-2275401