The Department of Mathematics was founded in 1956, under the name Department of Applied Mathematics. It started with only undergraduate program offering to engineering students. Mathematics play an important role in engineering and it is clearly reflected from the fact that it conducts all the mathematics courses offered in different branches of engineering, management, pharmaceutical sciences, architecture and the University polytechnic.
Currently, department of mathematics consists of 12 faculty members with expertise in both pure and applied mathematics. They are all well qualified, highly motivated towards teaching and always attempt to cooperate students inside and outside the classroom. Faculties are also involved in research activities and published their articles in highly impact journals. They are also skilled in writing books on Optimization, Mathematical Modeling, Differential Equations, Operation Research, Vedic Mathematics, Discrete Mathematics, Music and Mathematics, Algorithmic Complexity.
The department runs Ph.D programme, 2-year M.Sc programme in Mathematics and 5-year Integrated M.Sc programme (Mathematics and Computing). It has also been actively engaged in organizing conferences, workshops, summer and winter schools, invited lecture series. It also has initiated organizing seminars (two seminars in each month) aiming at distribution of knowledge about research areas among graduate and Ph.D students.
The department is equipped with a modern computer laboratory with latest scientific software such as Matlab, Mathematica, Mathcad, Minitab, SPSS, LINGO etc.
Many of the graduate students have gone for higher studies in reputed academic institution within India and abroad. Our students are getting selected for internship and in-campus / off-campus placement at IIT Bombay, infosys, Wipro, Capital Float, Intutent Incl., Pricewaterhouse coopers, Mu Sigma, Deloitte, TCS, Azim Premji foundation, SAP Labs, Blackberry, Tredence, Hangout Store.
Vision of the Department:
To become a globally recognized centre of excellence in teaching and research, producing excellent academicians, professionals and innovators who can positively contribute towards the society.
Mission of the Department:
1. Imparting strong fundamental concepts to students in the field of Mathematical Sciences and motivate them towards innovative and emerging areas of research.
2. Creation of compatible environment and provide sufficient research facilities for undertaking quality research to achieve global recognition.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO) for Integrated M. Sc. Course on Mathematics and Computing and MSc Course on Mathematics:
1. To impart conceptual knowledge of Mathematical Sciences for formulating and analyzing the real world problems.
2. To equip the students sufficiently in both analytical and computational skills in Mathematical Sciences.
3. To develop a competitive attitude for building a strong academic - industrial collaboration, with focus on continuous learning skills.
4. To nurture and nourish strong communication and interpersonal skills for working in a team with high moral and ethical values.
Program Outcomes (PO) for Integrated M. Sc. Course on Mathematics and Computing and MSc Course on Mathematics:
A graduate shall
- Be proficient enough to solve multifarious mathematical problems and capable of obtaining and analysing their results.
- Be competent enough in undertaking inter-disciplinary research and arrive at valid conclusions based on appropriate interpretations of data using analytical and numerical results.
- Be dedicated to professional ethics and responsibilities towards economic, environmental and societal norms.
- Demonstrate appropriate inter – personal skills as an individual, as a member or as a leader in a multi – disciplinary environment.
- Capable of understanding and writing effective reports and documents; preparing effective presentations and communicating convincingly on complex mathematical problems.
- Recognize the need for continuous learning and prepare himself/herself appropriately for his/her all – round development throughout the professional career.