The University Polytechnic was established in 2001 as a joint venture of the Department of Welfare, Government of Jharkhand, and BIT, Mesra, to impart Diploma and B. Sc (MLT) level technical education amongst the youths of Jharkhand. The campus of the University Polytechnic is located close to National Highway 33 in the vicinity of the BIT Main campus. Spread over 16 acres (64,750 m2), and it is on the outskirts of Ranchi, surrounded by green forests.
The University Polytechnic is fully residential with three large hostels (two for boys and one for girls), accommodating about 700 students. It has twenty-five full-time faculties and an equal number of visiting faculties from BIT Mesra. It has a library, laboratories, training-placement cell, NSS, sports, and games facilities.
To emerge as a leading technical training institution and serve the nation and engineering profession with distinction by developing the most skilled human resources with comprehensive and modern training and skill sets in selected engineering disciplines and trades.
- To administer a technical training institute of the highest standard of education and training commensurate with modern engineering practices.
- To offer technical diploma and certificate courses to cater to contemporary demand and relevance to the engineering industry.
- To adopt and implement a modern curriculum of technical education and training.
- To continuously upgrade the infrastructure for practical training with new and contemporary machines and methods.
- To arrange on-the-job training and internships for the students and staff members with proper supervision.
- To liaise with industry for internship and collaboration, and also for arranging periodic reviews of infrastructure and training methods and modernizing teaching and training curriculum.
To create a special program for the youth of the State of Jharkhand to help them acquire entrepreneurial and managerial skills, manufacturing capability, career advancement training, and professional confidence.
The University Polytechnic conducts the following 3-year courses:
B. Sc. in Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT)
Diploma in Technology (Automobile)
Diploma in Technology (Electrical)
Diploma in Technology (Electronics)
Diploma in Technology (Computer)
Diploma in Technology (Manufacturing)
Diploma in Technology (Mechanical)
The selections for admission are based only on marks obtained in the Matriculation (for Diploma) and Intermediate/ 10+2 with Science (for BMLT) Board examinations.